Become a successful Nurse or Pharmaceutical Technician by taking preparatory courses to ensure that you have the credentials to excel in your studies. More complex than courses after high school, college courses in pre health programs can help students transition easily into advanced health programs. Centennial College is rewarding students with an Ontario College Certificate from its Pre-Health (6815) program at the Ashtonbee campus. This connects seamlessly with the college’s Practical Nursing and Pharmacy Technician programs, with some courses available for transfer credits.
Under the School of Advancement, Centennial’s pre-health science program combines biology, chemistry, mathematics, and computers into a year’s program for high school graduates, new college students, and those who are wishing to pursue a new career in healthcare. It is a good introduction to the foundations that are neededfor students to fully understand advanced concepts and complete mathematical calculations in the field. Here are some program expectations:
– Biology concepts will be explored, including various biological mechanisms and their processes
– An understanding of the periodic table and the quantum mechanical model of the atom
– Computer course specifically targeted to healthcare professionals, where students will learn Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to create healthcare analysis, calculations, reports, and presentations
– Introduction to developmental psychology, emphasizing on the biological, psychological and sociocultural aspects of human development
– Knowledge and understanding of anatomical terminologies and fundamentals of human physiology, in preparation for the anatomy and physiology courses in the Nursing and Pharmaceutical Technician programs
Students need not be alarmed by the large amount of information learned in this program. It covers a wide range of subjects, but they are also targeted for a career in the healthcare sector, especially in nursing and pharmaceuticals. It is best to learn the basic principles, before advancing to higher course levels without the foundations to support your learning. This program is not about memorization, but it is about comprehending the concepts and having the ability to apply them in practical settings.
Program enrolment requirements are outlined below:
– Firstly, students must meet the eligibility requirements, which is to pass high school and obtain a secondary diploma or equivalent standing such as a mature student status.
– Although this is a preparatory program, students must still obtain certain academic requirements to be able to comprehend the college level of learning. Minimum grades in English and Math in senior high school years must be achieved.
– Centennial College admissions testing in English and Math may still be required.
Centennial College teaches all its students with the knowledge for a career life and how to apply those teachings in work environments. The pre health program follows the Centennial’s way of teaching and brings students into the college-level. Graduates are eligible to enter move forward in their career path as Nursing students and Pharmaceutical Technician Students at the School of Community and Health Studies at Morningside campus.